Monday, June 11, 2007

Rav Shagar zekher tsadik li-vrakhah

Rabbi Shimon Gershon Rosenberg, head of the Siach Yitzhak yeshiva and one of the most creative minds in contemporary Judaism, died today.

I only heard him speak a few times - he was never allowed to teach at the yeshiva I attended - but my two brothers studied at his yeshiva for a while, and my wife learned Hassidut from him at Midreshet Lindenbaum. I think it's fair to say he was the only rosh yeshiva to seriously consider himself post-modern.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was he old or sick? Sorry to hear the news.

3:38 PM  
Blogger manuscriptboy said...

He died at the age of 58 of pancreatic cancer.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

According to an E-mail sent out by R. Medan not long before R. Shagar's passing. R. shagar did in fact teach a yeshivat har etzion at some point.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home